Our angel baby was due May 5. I went on bed-rest March 4 due to high blood pressure. My goal was to make it to my baby shower thrown by Jamie on March 29. Goal accomplished! The very next Friday, April 4, I had a routine doctor appointment - which I had weekly due to the high blood pressure and my pregnancy now being considered high risk. This was the first doctor's appointment that I went to alone - by choice! I had such great help from my mom, mother in law, and sister taking me to doctor appointments and really helping out while I was on bed-rest. I had secretly planned on going to buy some flip flops that were on sale and stopping to get my eyebrows waxed after my doctor's appointment. Once I arrived, my blood pressure was very high, somewhere in the 150/100 range. After being in the doctor's office for over an hour doing a non-stress test on the baby, my blood pressure was checked again and was still very elevated. The baby also wasn't as active on the NST as the doctor would have liked. The sonogram tech was out that day, so the doctor sent me to the hospital. She assured me we would not be having the baby that day, but we just needed to double check on the baby, and was almost positive nothing was wrong. I called Bryan and my mom and let them know I was going to the hospital. I assured them I was fine and we would not be having the baby.
After being in the hospital for a couple hours, my blood pressure was not going down. The nurse kept telling me, "You are having this baby tonight!" I thought she was crazy! She called my doctor with the results from the sonogram on the baby - everything was great! But my blood pressure continued to get higher and higher. I was now in the dangerous zone of 160/110's. My doctor told the nurse she would call her back. She was shocked! When she had sent me to the hospital, she did not think there was any way we were having the baby. After speaking with the doctor, I had the choice of having a C-Section that night or I could labor for at least 24 hours and possible try a natural birth, but it would be a very long process. Also, if I decided to labor, my doctor would not be available that weekend to deliver, so I would have to use another doctor from the practice. After speaking with Bryan, we decided to go ahead and deliver via C-Section that night, April 4, 2014.
They told us since I was only 35 weeks and not full term, the baby would immediately be transferred to the NICU for a minimum of 6 hours. This was a very emotional day to say the least! Surgery began around 6:00pm, and Chloe was born at 6:40pm at 5 lb. 3 oz. and 17 3/4 inches long. Once the doctor began the surgery, she said we had made the right choice. The umbilical cord was beginning to thin and some other complications would have ended in an emergency C-Section anyway.
Once Chloe was born, we heard her cry after a few seconds and knew her lungs were ok! I had previously been in the hospital at the end of my 31st week and decided to get the shot to help the lungs develop!
She was healthy as could be and didn't ever have to go to the NICU. After we were brought back to our hospital room, she joined us within 30 minutes.
She was absolutely perfect, and oh so tiny! Most of the men visitors did not want to hold her right away because she was so small. Because she was premature, she slept most of the time and we had to wake her to eat. She stayed in our room the entire 3 day stay in the hospital.

No comments:
Post a Comment